Hell Yes! I Mean Hell No!
The people of Seattle have spoken and have clearly said that our waterfront is no place for a highway, regardless of elevation. As of 8:03 this evening nearly 55 percent of voters rejected a rebuild and an astounding 70 percent of voters rejected Mayor Gridlock’s pipe dream! Directly implied by the results is the fact that our leadership on all levels is failing and hasn’t got a damn clue!
So what are our options now? Well, let’s review the possibilities:
1. Greg “BUT I WANT MY TUNNEL!” Nickels keeps pushing for a tunnel. Gets elected out of office.
2. The governor pushes the rebuild on Seattle anyway. Peter Steinbrueck leads his proverbial army into battle against the evil monarch in true Braveheart fashion. Steinbrueck wins after much blood is spilled, Gregoire loses the Seattle vote and is unequivocally replaced in 2008.
3. Argue some more. Wait for nature to do its job. Hundreds die in the collapse. Local and State leaders go to jail for negligence and we all start over.
4. Repair and Prepare. Retrofit temporarily to buy time to add real transit options. But if it is too costly…
5. Mitigate traffic. Fix the grid. Add true Bus Rapid Transit to the corridor. Create a surface boulevard. Start plans to extend light rail. 1000 little things. Start the end of auto dependence.